I DJayed earlier this month at Barcade. A few DJ friends I've known since high school promote "Space N Faders", which occurs every first Friday of the month. Barcade is located in Los Angeles, California and directly adjacent to Koreatown.
The building is hidden behind a giant tree and painted black. The place is small, dark, filled with around 20 vintage arcade games and has a bar. Arcades are very rare in Los Angeles and a bar that's also an arcade is truly a rare gem.
When they asked if I could DJ in Koreatown and play for trendy hipsters, I said "can I play what I want". The guys said yes. And the first song I played was "Hit Me Like A Rock" by CSS.
Here is a sample of my playlist:
- CSS Hits Me Like A Rock [Dillon Francis Remix - VM EDIT]
- Foster The People Houdini [VM EDIT]
- Holy Ghost! Some Children (Jason Bee Edit)
- DeBarge Give It Up
- Billy Ocean Caribbean Queen (Victor Menegaux Edit)
- Hall & Oates Out Of Touch (Short Edit)
- Talking Heads This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)
- Stereo MC's Step It Up
- The Supermen Lovers Say No More (Jupiter Remix) Menegaux Edit
- Capital Cities Holiday (Simo Short Edit)
- Lifelike Ft. A-Trak Don't Stop (Simo Short Edit)
- Lykke Li Little Bit (Gigamesh Remix-Jordan Marc Edit)
- Metric Help I'm Alive (Twelves Rmx - Menegaux Edit)
- Housse De Racket Roman [Oliver Remix]
- Sneaky Sound System Really Want To See You Again (Funkagenda Remix) [Drew Pierce Edit]
- Michael Jackson Get On The Floor (Brass Knuckles Electro Remix)
- Cassian Getting High (Simo Edit)
The crowd was a surprising mix of hipsters, Koreans and Korean hipsters. The three groups came for one purpose - to lounge around in a bar, playing arcade games, and listening to DJs perform. Well, they may have actually came for all three reasons.
The highlight of the evening was when a girl with a Pabst Blue Ribbon in hand, complimented my song selections and asked me to play "I Love It" by Icona Pop. If you look at my playlist above, you'll know that Icona Pop's song would not mix well. She knew it too, but maybe the PBR made the request.