My friend from West Coast Music referred me to DJ her cousins wedding at the Pandora on Green. I was honored to be recommended as their wedding DJ in Pasadena considering that West Coast Music is one of best live music providers in the country.
After a few email exchanges, I met Andrew and Tricia a week later and discovered that we have very similar tastes in music! It's an indie wedding DJ's ideal client. Their taste in music consisted of indie rock, 90s hip hop and 90s R&B, and hits from the 80s. Those genres mixed together can definitely create a wedding dance party.
For the cocktail hour and dinner portion, I suggested a few genres to match the modern venue and the musical tastes of Andrew, Tricia and their guests. The cocktail hour consisted of indie, hip "folk" rock music, some jazzy tango type music from France and/or bossa nova. The music for the dinner portion included classic R&B/soul, 80's "yacht rock" (think Michael McDonald, Hall & Oates, Phil Collins, ect.) and 90's slow jams. Below are few songs I played during the cocktail hour and dinner.
- Hot Chip Look After Me (Major Lazer Remix) (Diggz Short 75 BPM Refix)
- Thievery Corporation Heaven's Gonna Burn Your Eyes
- Air Surfing On A Rocket
- Les Nubians feat The Roots Sweetest Taboo
- Estelle More Than Friends
- Choir Of Young Believers Action_Reaction
- Soul II Soul Keep On Movin (SSM DJ Friendly Edit)
- Rouge Rouge L'Amour
- Tone Rendez-Vous A Minuit
- Funk Como Le Gusta Vertiplano
- Sergio Mendes Timeless
- Quantic & Nickodemus Mi Swing Es Tropical
- Thievery Corporation Samba Tranquille
- Daft Punk ft Pharell Williams Lose Yourself To Dance (Phase Edit)
- Mark Morrison Return Of The Mack (Viceroy Remix) [VM EDIT]
- Matt and Kim Let's Go [DONK INTRO]
- The Bird and The Bee I Can't Go For That
- Tears For Fears Everybody Wants To Rule The World (Jason Bee Intro)
- Human League Human [VM EDIT]
- Modest Mouse Float On
- Wham! Everything She Wants (Short Edit)
- Billy Ocean Caribbean Queen (Victor Menegaux Edit)Caribbean Queen (Victor Menegaux Edit)
- Breakbot Baby I'm Yours (Feat. Irfane)
- Koffee Brown After Party (SINcere Edit)
- Earth Wind & Fire Shining Star
- Maze Feat. Frankie Beverly Before I Let Go (Rowshay Edit)
- Luther Vandross Shine (Fuseamania Quick Edit)
- Stevie Wonder That Girl
Besides working with one of my favorite couples, I had the opportunity to help the maid of honor for her surprise speech. Beverly rapped her speech to the theme of of "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air"! And the crowd went wild!
It was also my first time working with the Pasadena based, Sky Box Event Productions. Ngoc and Crystal were extremely organized and their event design was very impressive!
Thanks Andrew and Tricia!